Resources available for the study of religion
Last Updated: Oct 31, 2012
The following are recommended for use:
- Philosopher's Index (EBSCOhost)
The basic tool for finding articles about philosophy and ethics.
- Philosopher's Index: A Retrospective Index to U.S. Publications from 1940 (REF Z 7127 .P474)
This material is not duplicated in the Philosopher's Index.
- Humanities Index (REF PER/IND AI 3 .H85)
This title had several previous titles, including:
- Continuation of the Social Sciences and Humanities Index.
- International Index : A Guide to Periodical Literature in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- International Index to Periodicals.
- Religion Index One (REF PER/IND BL 1 .R4x)
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost)
These two (see below) all-subject WWW-based services (they are part of the EBSCOhost system) feature indexing and abstracting of many journals and magazines WKU Libraries receives in hardcopy, plus a large selection of articles in full-text.
- Masterfile Premier (EBSCOhost)
- Google Scholar
A free Web-based Google service that restricts searches to the scholarly literature. Now features linking to full-text of articles held by WKU.
The following printed journal indexing services are recommended for use by advanced students and researchers. These items are located in the Reference Periodical Index portion of the Reference Room (first floor of Helm):
- Humanities Index: As described above.
- Index Islamicus (REF PER/IND Z 7835 .M6 L65x) A bibliography of books, articles, and reviews on Islam and the Muslim world.
- International Bibliography series
- International bibliography of anthropology
- International bibliography of economics
- International bibliography of political science
- International bibliography of social and cultural anthropology
- International bibliography of sociology
- International bibliography of the social sciences
- Index to Legal Periodicals (REF PER/IND K9 .N32): Use the Index to Legal Periodicals for aticles related to law and religion, freedom of religion, or separation of church and state.
- International Political Science Abstracts (REF PER/IND JA 36 .I5): Contains articles about the concepts of church and state, liberty, and political philosophy.
- Journal of Economic Literature (REF PER/IND HB 1 .J6)
- L'annee Pilologique (REF PER/INDZ 7016 .M35A) Published in France, this annual abstracting guide contains materials on Philosophy of Religion. Some are in French and some are in English.
- Old Testament Abstracts (REF PER/IND BS 410. O42).
- New Testament Abstracts (REF PER/IND BS 410 .N35).
- Philosopher's Index: As described above.
- Philosopher's Index—A Retrospective Index to U.S. Publications from 1940: As described above.
- Elenchus of Biblica (BS 1171.2 .E4x). Index of Biblical literature, mostly in German.
- Religion Index One: As described above.
- Religious and Theological Abstracts (REF PER/IND BR 1 .R286) This set provides abstracts of articles in religion and theology.
- TDNet Electronic Journal Finder
Special resource: use to access Libraries' electronic journals, magazines, and newspapers, as well as some indexes and databases containing full-text articles; includes a comprehensive A-Z listing of titles
Special resource: [A searchable catalog of the collections at the Kentucky Library & Museum. KenCat includes manuscripts, letters, sheet music, photographs, museum exhibits, images, journals, and books.]
The following services are recommended for use by advanced students and researchers:
- America: History & Life (EBSCOhost)
Since 1964, the premiere database covering the history of the United States and Canada. Database indexes 2,000 journals published worldwide. In addition to articles, the database provides citations of book and media reviews annually as well as abstracts of dissertations.
- Art and Humanities Citation Index (AHSearch)
FirstSearch database available to faculty and graduate students (and to undergraduate students by special permission). Indexes over 1,300 of the world's leading arts and humanities journals, 1980 to present.
- Alt-Press Watch (ProQuest)
has full text of over 170 alternative and independent newspapers, magazines and journals.
- Alt-Press Index
FirstSearch database available to faculty and graduate students (and to undergraduate students by special permission). Indexes journals covering cultural, economic, political & social change.
FirstSearch database available to faculty and graduate students (and to undergraduate students by special permission). Indexes almost 13,000 journals and magazines from 1990 onward, including some ninety percent of the ones University Libraries carries in hardcopy.
- Historical Abstracts (EBSCOhost)
Since 1954, the premiere database covering history since 1450 (excluding Canada and the United States). In addition to articles includes 3,000 citations annually to useful historical books reviewed by leading historical journals and citations to abstracts of dissertations.
Provides the full text/full image web access of the complete archival collections of a large number of journals, up to the most recent three to five years.
- Project Muse
"Provides online, worldwide, institutional subscription access to the full text of over 100 scholarly journals in the arts and humanities, social sciences and mathematics."
- PsycInfo (EBSCOhost)
Provides indexing and abstracts for over one million articles in 1,500 journals, plus dissertations, books and book chapters, from 1887 to the present.
- Reader's Guide Retrospective 1890-1982
Contains all information from the printed Readers’ Guide annuals in a single database. Over 3 million articles from approximately 375 leading magazines (many peer reviewed). Also includes PDF full text from the Wilson Library Bulletin from 1914 to 1983. Subject headings have been updated with modern terminology, although the original subject headings are also available.
- Sociological Abstracts (ProQuest)
Provides abstracting of the sociological and anthropological literature from 1963 onward. Contains articles that are related to sociology of religion.
- TDNet Electronic Journal Finder
Access Libraries' electronic journals, magazines, and newspapers, as well as some indexes and databases containing full-text articles; includes a comprehensive A-Z listing of titles
A searchable catalog of the collections at the Kentucky Library & Museum. KenCat includes manuscripts, letters, sheet music, photographs, museum exhibits, images, journals, and books.